Saturday, February 5, 2011

Stalking the wild asparagus

With so little snow this winter, and temps in the mid 50's this weekend, my mind is turning to spring and springtime activities. Yesterday, I started thinking about my 2011 garden and remembered R saying morels, or morilles grow along the fence, near the new raspberry bushes. A Google search to learn more about these springtime delicacies resulted in a pleasant find of "Stalking The Wild Asparagus". Published in 1962 it's Euell Gibbon's account of finding and eating what nature provides. I'm sort of living that life now and it's interesting to see what Mother Nature can provide, as long as you know how to identify and prepare the food.

A list of wild (and not so wild) finds. The next time you're out walking in the woods or even in Central Park, look around, up and down. You never know what you may find. In NYC, there's a mushroom expert who leads classes on foraging in NYC, something my foodie friend A and I would like to try one day.

March to April - Wild asparagus can be found nearby. I think I've seen the evergreen parts of these plants, but never gotten close enough to see the tender spears. Come spring, I will be keeping a close eye on the nearby fields, dry walls, country roads and around oak trees. If you want to try stalking them with me, take caution. The evergreen part has thorns, so wear gloves and bring a sharp knife. Harvest carefully so there will be more for the next harvest.


April - Wild morilles
May - Wild daffodils and for some reason, I think leeks too
June - Griotte cherries; we have at least 6 trees
July - Marasmus oreades (fairy ring mushrooms in our backyard) can be picked all the way til mid-September
August - Wild oregano in our garden; honey mushrooms if I can find them; apples; prunes; wild rosemary
September - Honey mushrooms; apples; bolets, or porcini mushrooms; wild blackberries in the backyard, all the way next to the meadow where the cows graze
October - More mushrooms including chanterelle, pied du moutons, trompette de mort, tete des moines; inky caps
November - Coing, or quince; we have 2 old large trees that gave fruit last year; chestnuts, or chataignes
December - Oyster mushrooms
January - Oyster mushrooms
February - Not sure what can be picked now, but I will find out from my mushroom club at the next meeting.

During last night's meeting of the mushroom club, Yves and Roger gave a presentation (in photos) of the wild plants, flowers, and rock formations found on Corse (Corsica) and its surrounding islands. Yves showed a plant that looked like asperge, and said that there are a few types of asparagus that grow wildly in our area. So many beautiful pictures and places that I would love to visit next summer. The chocolate cupcakes were a hit, with Roger and Yves taking the last 3 petites gateaux home.

No comments:

Post a Comment