Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fun with new camera

Over the past 10 days since I've received my Canon, I've taken 600 or so photos! Half of them are practice shots, as I'm acquainting myself with Canon's many options and settings. The other half are sort of artistic shots taken on walks and hikes, or when I'm feeling creative in the kitchen. I am still learning about the Exposure Triangle of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. View the few dozen photos I've posted on Facebook.

Today, R and I received a great explanation on Canon's different lens capabilities (macro vs zoom, depth of field, etc) and tried a number of different lenses at FNAC. I highly recommend this store at Balexert for a number of reasons, highest on the list are that the salesmen are not only nice, but also knowledgeable. Photography is their passion and it shows in their attitude and enthusiasm. Also FNAC price-matches, so I got the lens at a good price. The objectifs, or lenses, I tried were:
  • Two different macro lenses. Way over my budget but amazing detail
  • One portrait lens (50mm, f1.8)
  • One telephoto lens with a very impressive zoom. Way over my budget but amazing zoom and detail
  • One telephoto zoom lens (55-250mm, f4, 5)
Based on my current needs and price range, I decided on the last lens (55-250mm). With it, I'm hoping I can really take spectacular landscape photos and even zoom into the woodpecker who's been pecking at one of our birch trees this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment