Thursday, February 24, 2011

Busy cooking day..

This morning I woke up to snow falling outside!! Not a day too soon because this weekend is Le Retordica, an annual husky race on Le Retord. I've been looking forward to this event for a while now, checking the mountains and metéo each day. This morning's snowfall was beautiful while it lasted but then it turned into mist and then rain during our walk, washing the few centimeters of snow away. Due to the moisture in the air, and the fact that I was also feeling under the weather, I didn't end up taking any pictures with my new telephoto zoom lens.

Upon returning home, I dived into several recipes that I'd wanted to try recently...

  • Har gow, also called ha gao, the ubiquitous dim sum treat. This recipe was awesome! The result was a beautiful translucent dumpling with shrimp and petit pois (which I added because I like my food to have color). So good, with a bit of chew to it. We popped one after another into our hungry little mouths, leaving none for photographs. More to come this weekend when I make a double batch.
  • Scallion pancake. I used the blanched dough method – All purpose flour. There's a big scallion dough ball resting in the fridge now—actually they need to rest for 48 hours before I can roll them out and fry them up!
For dinner, galettes de sarrasin, buckwheat crepes from Bretagne. The ones I've eaten in France are served pretty plain with ham and cheese. Today, I dressed ours up with tomme, spinach, champignons de Paris, and jambon cru. For dessert, an old-fashioned vanilla pudding using a simple recipe that delivers a very smooth, rich tasting pudding..thanks to an egg yolk. I totally recommend this recipe, but make a double batch. You'll want more, trust me.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment