Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Walking in the woods

I should be reading about Service Operation for my ITIL certification exam - but I'm taking a break. Take a break with me...photos from Friday's outing with the local mycologie club.

Non-edible and toxic mushrooms! Please, please do not collect and eat any wild mushrooms before very, very careful identification. I don't eat any mushrooms unless they have been identified by the local mushroom expert and 3 other members of the club.

Two kinds of edible mushrooms (cep de Bordeaux, chanterelles-en-tube); marasmus oreades, quinces and sage from the garden.

The wild mushrooms I found with the club on Friday are a total taste explosion! For the chanterelles-en-tube, a quick saute in beurre, sea salt, then folded into an airy omelet. The porcinis (known locally as cep de Bordeaux)? Sauteed with fresh thyme, bay leaf, sea salt, pepper and spooned onto slices of whole wheat French bread. MON DIEU.



Photos from Land Art - an art exhibit using things found in nature:

Photo from monastery/church in Bourg-en-Bresse. We were on our way to Beaujolais but the rain came on strong so we decided to take refuge by walking through the grand church in Bourg built by Marguerite de Autriche.

2 comments:

  1. One of the toxic mushrooms, the big dark brown one, sorta looks like one of those expensive medicinal Chinese mushrooms dried: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingzhi_mushroom

    Based on the picture, when it's fresh, it doesn't look like it. Your cooked mushroom on bread looks good. I would have added garlic. I love garlic with mushrooms.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen mushrooms that look like the Lingzhi - they are really ugly looking up close.

    I'll add a tiny bit of garlic into some of my mushrooms tomorrow..but the reason why I didn't add them the first time is because some of the mushrooms are really delicate and adding garlic will overpower and mask the taste of the mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete