Saturday, October 16, 2010

Spelunking is NOT a stroll in the park

Gray skies and light rains lasted throughout the day but it didn't keep us inside. First, a quick stop at the dechetterie to drop off our recycles and yard waste. Next, a visit to Ville's school where the kiddies were having a fundraiser and selling freshly pressed apple cider and tarte aux pommes - yumm! Then, a stop at Bellegarde's mushroom "expo". It was a tiny expo, but to our delight, the hosts were really nice and they baked 5 different savory "cakes" with different mushrooms in them. We ate the "cakes" with homemade alcohol made with local ingredients - one was made from sage; another from basil; another from a local berry.

After Skyping with May and the boys, R and I got ready for our big adventure of the day. This summer, when there was an open day for the local clubs in Bellegarde, R and I met the speleo club and told them we'd be interested in their "initiation" day.

So today was it! At the beginning of the week, the club sent us a really simple email. Dress warmly in layers in clothes you don't mind being totally dirtied; bring water & snacks; wear boots; bring rubber kitchen gloves. Thinking it was an initiation day, we expected a fairly easy expedition for novices...maybe a bit physical but nothing crazy!

We drove to the meeting place which was a parking area by the side of road next to a big mountain. At the location, we met the group (10 in total including us; 5 experts; 5 newbies like us) and had to pay for insurance (12CHF for both of us which is freaking ridiculously cheap) and sign in case something happened to us. To prepare for our expedition, we donned knee high rubber boots and helmets with lights (grace au club). Then we started walking to our entrance - within minutes, we stopped. I was puzzled because I didn't see any entrance to our grotte Felicite which means happiness in French.

The guides were pointing at a small hole in the mountain which was 2 feet in diameter (or slightly less). We had reached our entrance into the grotte - my first thought? Sh**!!!! What have I gotten myself into. Did I mention I've had nightmares where I've had to crawl into tiny holes which seem too small to fit me but then it does.

But I was there, so I was going to do it! One by one, we got on all fours and slid in head first because the hole was so low and narrow. R went ahead of me, barely fitting through because it was a small hole but also because we had on so many layers. When it was my turn, I took a deep breath and went in, feeling a bit like Alice in Wonderland, not knowing what to expect inside.

How do I describe the descent and the spelunking expedition? It was dark, cold enough inside so we could see our breaths, and after crawling into the hole, we descended down it pretty fast into a small landing with a pool of water a few inches deep. And then we sort of walked down a little bit, noticing that the ceiling got lower and lower as the cave walls got narrower and narrower.

In many places it was so narrow and the cave ceiling so low, we had to crawl on our stomaches; in a few places, it was too low to really crawl so we had to drag our selves with our arms through sand, stone, pebbles and pretty F****** cold water to get to the other side.

It was a long meandering expedition and I for one didn't know how long it was..just knew it would take 3 hours to do. Dowwwwwnnnnnnn and then Uppppppppppp we went. We navigated deep pools of water (deep enough we were advised to not step into it) so we had use the sides of the cave to navigate across the water. Thank god there were ropes at the very dangerous points. But every step was made judiciously because some places were super high and it was also pretty slippery (thank goodness for the rubber boots and rubber gloves, which are now totally shredded). I don't have claustrophobia but there was a point towards the end where I would have given anything to emerge outside - but then I learned we had to crawl back out the same way we went in!

The whole time, I continued, sometimes stopped to take a look around..and then we had to move forward again. It was SO COOL - being inside the belly of a mountain. We saw cool stalactites, the ones that hang down like icicles. It was a real physical and mental challenge but it was such good fun...and I'm so happy I did it but if I had known what I was getting myself into, there would have been NO WAY I could have done it.

I'm now sitting in my PJS, all warm and clean after having taken one of the BEST showers in my life. The endorphins are rushing through my body! Despite the bruises, and the aching muscles, I'm so happy for the experience and surprised I was not really afraid or lose my sh** at the scary parts.

This is what I love about France - or about the French countryside. Everyone is really gracious and ready to share their knowledge and passion! The guides were great and so helpful at the points where I needed help navigating. Even though it's only 36Euro a year to join the speleo club, I'm pretty sure I'm not signing up anymore for these type of spelunking expeditions (considering the one we did today was for debutantes). I'll post pics when the members send them to me!

1 comment: