Thursday, July 29, 2010

Really off-road riding

This week's adventure: trying to climb up a slightly muddy, rocky trail with lots of tree branches on a road motorcycle. Trail 1, Us 0.

It didn't seem like a really stupid idea when we set out. Impressively, we made it uphill with about only 100 meters left to go until nice flat asphalt roads. The trail was a bit squishy..and unfortunately, luck wasn't on our side. As we were taking a small turn, the tires of the motorcycle got stuck in some loose mud/rocks and we fell over sideways against a tree. We righted ourselves and immediately started rolling backward downhill. !@%$#%@

I got off the bike and helped R push the bike upright. As he tried to drive out of the mud, I stood alongside him with a log in my hand, ready to throw it behind the back wheel so he wouldn't slide backwards too far on the bike. After little progress, R and I gave up our uphill efforts and decided to retrace our route which meant we had to take the same steep trail down. It was no piece of cake! I decided to walk down while R rode down very carefully and as slow as possible. He went downhill first, with one hand on the brakes and one foot trailing the ground to keep in control. It was a long steep walk down...and I was impressed we had actually made it that far up on the road motorcycle. If we had been on a off-trail motorbike, we could have made the last hundred meters.

What kind of girl am I? One who doesn't freak out and panic!! I actually handled myself pretty well even though it was a scary situation and was able to help R get the motorcycle unstuck and down the forest trail. Miraculously, neither one of us are hurt..just bruised from falling twice. My souvenir from our adventure: a nice big bruise on my left knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment