Saturday, December 25, 2010

Joyeux Fêtes

Seasons Greetings. Joyeux Fêtes. Wishing you and your loved ones a beautiful holiday season.
I landed in Boston last Thursday after almost twenty-four hours of travel, including a 6 hour layover in London Heathrow. Stepping off the plane at Logan, I felt like I had come home again. It felt the same and different at the same time. Maybe it was the jetlag, or living in the country for the past year...but it felt a little bit different.

Tonight I'm sitting at my friends' Julia and Mike's home and listening to Ella Fitzgerald's Christmas album. Even though spring is my favorite season, Christmas is my favorite holiday. While I still enjoy getting presents, my favorite part is definitely spending time with friends and family. What gets you into the holiday spirit? Is it hearing your favorite Christmas carol on the radio? Or twinkling lights on a beautifully decorated tree? The smell of freshly baked cookies? The stories and laughter that ensues when friends and family who haven't seen each other in a while get together? For me it's all of those things. This year Christmas feels extra special because R is here with me, celebrating the season in Boston.

Tonight Christmas Eve R and I are heading to my Mom's and then to my Aunt and Uncle's house for dinner. Tomorrow morning we will have Christmas breakfast in Somerville, hosted by my sister, BIL, and nephews who are counting the minutes until Santa arrives. Then Christmas Day Eve we're all invited to my BIL's aunt and grandmother's house on the South Shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment