Sunday, November 14, 2010

Loups-garous

First, I was the Idiot and then Cupid and afterwards, just a simple villager in love with a werewolf who turned human. The little girl had me laughing my butt off, and everyone was suspicious of everyone else. Puzzled?

Last night, R and I attended an awesome event in the Paquis neighborhood - a Loups-Garous party. If you don't know what that is..it's a French social game in which villagers are haunted by werewolves. Each person is dealt a card which contains his/her secret role - either a villager, a villager with special powers (such as a Prophet, Witch, Cupid, Village Idiot, Hunter, or Little Girl), or a werewolf. There are 3 werewolves and many villagers. The werewolves' identities are revealed to each other; but the villagers cannot discriminate between plain villagers, villagers with special powers, and werewolves. The objective is to figure out the villagers posing as werewolves and lynch the werewolves before they eat you and the rest of the village up! The fun part is that it's a very social game in which suspicions, lies, pretending fly around; but in the end, only logic will help you solve the puzzle!

In English, the game is called "Werewolves"; other variations of this type of game are Mafia and Murder Detective.

I played Murder Detective years ago at a birthday party and though it was fun, I loved the Werewolves game much more. For one, it was hosted by the most jovial Japanese man who had played the game a number of times and liked it so much, decided to host his own event at a friend's house. His props, music, and the signs he gave for each character were hilarious! Especially the one of the "Little Girl" which was a wink and a sideways tilt of the head. Anyway, there were 16 of us including the host, who played the narrator/moderator.

Here are the general rules in case you'd like to play! Maybe we can organize a game when I'm back in Boston in December or January! Let me know if you'd be interested.

4 comments:

  1. I'm interested. Sounds like murder or what's that game called. never played myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'll see if I can arrange a game when in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arghh i remember reading this post, but forgot to mention thst I have actually played Werewolf :-). Extremely fun! Except Louie managed to put a twist on the game by incorporating a 'village whore'. I forget what her powers were.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @5Arlington: LOL! Interesting twist. I can only imagine what his/her special powers were. And when can the powers be used? Only at nights, or during the day too?

    ReplyDelete