Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fireworks over Geneva

Happy August 8th everyone! Can you believe we're already in August?

This weekend, the weather was spectacular. Sunny and warm during the days and and clear with a small breeze at night. Saturday R and I stayed close to home working on the house and running errands. Then we headed into Geneva for the best fireworks show I've ever seen. The fireworks marks the end of a month long festival in Geneva called the Fete de Geneve.

Like everyone else (and their mother), we drove into the city. Traffic was bad so we ended up parking near UNHCR and then walked a quick 15 minutes down to the lake. As we neared the lake, the neon lights from the carnival rides and food and game tents lit up the night and reflected in the lake. As we walked closer to the piers to get a good viewing spot, I could smell the food vendors' food; I could hear the thumping of the bass from the techno/house music coming from the carnival rides; and I heard many languages being spoken by all the international people who live and work in Geneva, not to mention all the happy screams I heard from people who were on the carnival rides.

Anyway, we got lucky and were able to find a place to sit on the crowded pier next to the lake an the boats docked there. We had a pretty great view of the fireworks show - and what a show it was! The show lasted an hour long and this year's theme was "Circus" so the fireworks were choreographed to "circus" music. I don't know about you..but I still love fireworks..it makes me feel all happy and full of wonder. And given all the happy applause and smiles I saw..I think everyone else present also loves them...well, everyone except for the ducks and swans swimming in the lake. When the fireworks started, the ducks all quacked loudly and frantically swam in between the boats, close to everyone sitting on their boats and on the piers. See below for my pics of the fireworks (will upload tomorrow). And here's a short clip of last night's fireworks.

Arriving home, the skies were super clear and R and I stayed outside for a few minutes just watching the stars light up the night sky here in our little part of the mountain. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment