Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A field of snowflakes

If the blooming forsythia in our garden is any indication, c'est déjà printemps. But on our walk today, R and I found fields upon fields on snowflakes. Confused? Enjoy a pictorial story of my day with R and learn more.


Vivid yellow forsythia blooms on the tree outside my kitchen. When I'm cooking, this is my view.


It is so warm that I started some seeds this week, even though it's only mid-March. Here's a tray of curly dwarf kale and kohlrabi, 5 days after germination.


From spring until late fall, we have tiny bat visitors sleeping behind the shutters—R spotted two this morning, and guessed this rusty colored one was about 2 1/2 inches long (unspread out). The little guy shifted a little but clung on and continued to sleep while I was snapping away.


On our walk today, we encountered fields and fields of wild summer snowflakes (Leucojum aestivum). I thought they were spring snowdrops at first, but they are close relatives. How can you tell the difference? Summer snowflakes (weird since they always bloom in April and May, and are appearing early this year) have tell tale green spots at the edge of their petals.


The circus is in town again...and we stopped to feed the animals before heading to town to run some errands. This little goat took a real liking to me..and it resulted in ensuing laughter. I smell a little like goat cheese right now.



He seems to be saying to me, "Dude, this hay is some good stuff."


  

This boy and his brother were giving the camels lots of loving. I think the feeling is mutual, don't you? Look at that happy camel face.

No comments:

Post a Comment