Sunday, May 16, 2010

Springing forward

Spring is in full bloom in our mountainside. I just missed the cherry trees blossoming, but everywhere around us, plants and animals are waking from their hibernation. After many months away from R, I am so happy to be where I am right now.

For the past few days, I've been getting over jetlag and settling into my new environment. R and I visited our town's farmer's market yesterday and today we visited le mairie and strolled along the belle river walkway. Throughout the day, we spotted a woodpecker, a sleeping bat behind our shutters, large snails without shells called limas, swans, and creamy cows grazing across the meadow. At the nursery we looked for plants and seeds and came home with strawberry, tomato, eggplant, zucchini, lettuce plants; raspberry and groseille bushes; and seeds for beets, leeks, basil, coriander, mesclun, green onions, and bell pepper. Still looking for mint. Looking forward to doing some planting tomorrow!




4 comments:

  1. Are those the creamy cows? Are they called creamy cows because they're in a creamy color? :) Interesting how the pics don't display in the blog, but it does when you comment. Indeed the grass is very green. SDC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these cream colored cows belong to one of our neighbors who raises them for meat. The cows graze on the neighbors' property and sometimes on ours - you could say they are our lawnmowers!

    Hmm..the pics don't display in the blog? I can see them..I'll investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looooooooooooooooooove the little bat! What a fantastically gorgeous place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, the bats love to nap behind our shutters. R's quite the naturalist, pointing out to me the different animals that live in our own backyard. Today, on a ride to his friend's house, we saw hawks flying overhead, playing with the wind.

    ReplyDelete